It is important to add an effective back workout program to your gym routine because these muscles will not only help your physique, but also help improve your posture.
Most gyms have a variety of different machines that target your back muscles. There are also a couple of exercises you can do right from your home to make things easier. We are just going to focus on the pull up because it is a great way to develop your back muscles.
Pull ups target your latissimus dorsi muscles. These are the muscles that can give your body more of a “V” shape instead of a square.
The great thing about pull ups is that you can do them in the comfort of your own home if you have a pull up bar.
They are great for targeting your back muscles as well as your core and biceps.
Don’t worry If you are not able to do a single pull up with your own body weight. Many people simply do not yet have the strength to pull up their body weight. Fortunately, most gyms have assisted pull up machines that can help you build up your strength until you are able to do them on your own.
You can also follow this 5 phase program to do your first pull up:
Another alternative is to use a lat pull down machine that has the pull up attachment.
Many people make the mistake of swinging their body and using momentum to complete a repetition. It is crucial that you do not do this because you may injure yourself, and you are basically just wasting your time.
Pull ups should be performed with strict form in order to target your back muscles most effectively.
- Begin by holding onto the bar with your hands slightly wider than shoulder width. Your palms should be facing away from you on this exercise.
- Hang onto the bar with your arms straight.
- Lift your legs off the ground and begin pulling your weight up using your lattissimus Doris muscles and your arms.
- Be sure to keep your neck in a neutral position throughout the repetition to avoid strain.
- When performing a pull up, it helps to pretend you are squeezing your back muscles together.